Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAW 31: Digital Copenhagen
From: n.wajsman at chello.nl (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Mon Aug 2 09:39:27 2004

I am posting this week's PAW with some trepidation, since these are the
first pictures I have posted which are made with my newly acquired Canon
10D and a 17-35mm Sigma lens (I received the camera last Monday).
Actually, I don't mean the part about trepidation. Either the pictures
are good or they are not, regardless of the equipment used.

So...I was in Copenhagen on a brief holiday last week, and most
unusually for Denmark, the weather was beautiful the whole time. I
therefore apologize in advance for some of the blue sky visible in the
pictures :-)

My son and I took a boat ride around the harbour of Copenhagen. This is
a standard 1-hour tourist thing, but we had a cute guide (there is also
a self-portrait in there):
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2004/2004_31.jpg

On Str?get, the main pedestrian street in Copenhagen, I spotted this
little boy waiting for his mother outside a lingerie shop. At first he
was a bit unsure about the situation:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2004/2004_31alt1.jpg
but then he decided that a woman in bikini is, after all, interesting:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2004/2004_31alt2.jpg

These two hip women are one of these grab shots that are so easy to do
with digital--I did not actually raise the camera to my eye:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2004/2004_31alt3.jpg

Another grab shot (although I did aim properly here). Netto is a local
supermarket chain using a logo with a small terrier. I therefore could
not resist this scene:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2004/2004_31alt4.jpg

And last but not least. I was in Copenhagen to visit my father whose
life has not been particularly joyous since my mother died 3 years ago.
One evening we went to Nyhavn, a street in central Copenhagen known as
the longest bar in the world, to have a beer and enjoy the weather. This
shot is special to me because I very rarely see my father so unabashedly
happy as here:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2004/2004_31alt5.jpg

Also, all the images were shot at ISO 100 except the last one, which was
at ISO 800. When I look at the full PS image, I can only conclude that
this Canon is superior to anything I have shot on color film (negative
or slide) at this speed.

The complete PAW index is at:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/indexpaw2004.html
and comments and critique are always welcome and appreciated.

Nathan

--
Nathan Wajsman
Almere, The Netherlands