Subject: [Leica] First They Starve Your Leicina, then....
From: jshul at comcast.net (Jim Shulman)
Date: Thu Jul 29 17:15:53 2004

Kodak discontinues Ektachrome Movie Film
By  <http://www.kodak.com> Kodak, June 2004.

Kodak is announcing plans to discontinue manufacturing all EASTMAN
EKTACHROME Color Reversal Motion Picture Films by year-end 2004.

This decision has not been taken lightly and is brought about by two
fundamental reasons. Kodak's proactive environmental strategy calls for the
elimination of several component parts in these products and falling sales
volume due to lack of demand. Unfortunately, this combination of factors
prohibits our ability to enter into a research and development program to
re-engineer these products. You can imagine, we are very disappointed to
have to make this decision.

As a result, the product discontinuance schedule is as follows:
Immediate:

*       EASTMAN EKTACHROME High Speed Film 400T SO-251 (ESTAR)
*       EASTMAN EKTACHROME Film 160D 2239 (ESTAR)

Within six months:
Depending on customer demand, we anticipate that supplies of the following
films will be available for approximately four to six months:

*       EASTMAN EKTACHROME Film 160D 7239
*       EASTMAN EKTACHROME Film 125T 7240
*       EASTMAN EKTACHROME Print Film 7399 and 5399

By year-end:
Production of the following high speed EKTACHROME Color Reversal Motion
Picture Films will cease by yearend. Depending on customer demand, we
anticipate that supplies of the following films will be available for
approximately three months into 2005:

*       EASTMAN EKTACHROME Film 400T 7250
*       EASTMAN EKTACHROME Film 400D 7251
*       EASTMAN EKTACHROME Film 400D 2253 (ESTAR)

Chemicals for machine processing EKTACHROME and Video News (Process VNF-1
and RVNP), found on page 67 of the KODAK Motion Picture Film Price Catalog,
will continue to be available for 6 months after film inventories have been
completely deleted.

We are aware that these actions will cause you some inconvenience and for
that, we apologize. Your Kodak Sales representative will be contacting you
very shortly to discuss alternative products that will help to fill your
imaging needs.

Replies: Reply from mlpowell at sbcglobal.net (Matthew Powell) ([Leica] First They Starve Your Leicina, then....)