Subject: [Leica] More photography restrictions/hassles
From: sdp35 at cwazy.co.uk (sdp35)
Date: Thu Jul 29 05:04:56 2004

Word is circulating about this in the online railway photographer's
community.  I post this only in the interest of illustrating the tenor
of the times:

Forwarded for info and, if you've been hassled by NJT, action.  Contact
the Mr Zullig, <mailto:wezrail@aol.com>wezrail@aol.com, or the NJ ACLU
directly, 89 Market St,
Newark, NJ 07102-1702, 973-642-2626.

 > Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 12:32:24 EDT
 > Subject: ACLU -- NJT Photography
 >
 > Yesterday I had a call from Helen Ford at the New Jersey ACLU's office
 > in Newark. She was responding to my most recent letter and enclosures.
 >
 > Ms. Ford advised that they will be meeting with NJ Transit in an
effort
 > to resolve this matter.  Meanwhile, however, she would like to know if
 > anyone has been arrested or threatened with arrest for taking NJT
 > photos.  I responded that to the best of my knowledge the NJT police
 > have been intimidating railfans with vague language but that nobody
has
 > been told of a possible penalty for a "violation."  Moreover, I
advised
 > that I never had heard of an arrest or threat to make such an arrest
on
 > NJTransit.  My personal view is that their Chief knows he is on very
 > shaky legal ground and has told the officers to hassle photographers
 > but to go no further.
 >
 > So, in addition to keeping you up to date on developments, the purpose
 > of this email is to inquire as to you or anyone you know has been
 > arrested or threatened with arrest for photography from public areas
of
 > NJT.  Remember, we need facts, not hearsay or statements read on the
 > Internet.  Any persons having such knowledge can get in touch with me
 > or, if they prefer, directly with Ms. Ford.
 >
 > Feel free to pass this message on to friends who might possibly have
 > the information ACLU is seeking.

=====
Gary R. Kazin
DL&W Milepost R35.7