Subject: [Leica] FYI: legal press release
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Fri Jul 23 14:27:42 2004

Jeffery Smith offered:
Subject: RE: [Leica] FYI: legal press release

> Good Grief! I'm 54 too. We've reached that age that we are seen as
> expendable. Depressing.<<

It's amazing how the "young crowd" believe we older folks are cast offs and
redundant when in reality we are the key to many a companies survival
because we're the ones with the experience through the up's and downs of the
company in good, bad and ugly economic times.

We're the one's who learned all the neat short cuts to save the company
money and to show a better profit line. Then to dump the "experience"
because they're not quite up to the 110% the young guys think they need to
run the shop, they then get rid of old Sam or Jane before they die.

As happened in our family. We had one dumped, well a sort of "forced
retirement" and within three weeks the company was begging her to come back
because so many others had tried to fill her shoes but did nothing but
screw-ups. It was then they realized that, "Old Pat really knew what she was
doing!"

So she said, "Sure I'll come back... For double my previous salary, a car
with vehicle allowance and a 6 week paid holiday without me contributing to
the cost!" :-)  Hey and they jumped for it immediately. Now Pat's pretty
bright, had them write it up, took it to her lawyer for approval and he
suggested if they should let her go again for basically no reason other than
she was "old" the severance package would be a 4 year buy out!

They went for it, but asked that she personally train new staff members in
her position. Oh yeah and they couldn't get rid of her for a minimum of
three years !

So sometimes it works out OK. Unfortunately rarely!

Good luck with your situation Brian! And there's only one way to do
this..... "Absolutely take no prisoners, grind them into the ground till
they're crying, then stick them again!"

Then maybe a few of these dumb ass SOB's might realize they'll be "older
some day," if they're lucky, and would they want to be treated in similar
fashion as they treated you!!

"Stick it to them mon ami!" Take no prisoners, but get all their money!

ted

Replies: Reply from jls at runbox.com (Jeffery Smith) ([Leica] FYI: legal press release)