Subject: [Leica] Bride by window light
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Mon Jul 19 13:52:49 2004

Peter Klein showed:

> Last week, I was in New York/New Jersey for my cousin's wedding.  After
>the official photographer did his thing with his F3 and big strobe, I'd
asked
> the bride to stand by the window.  I love window light.
>
> http://users.2alpha.com/~pklein/JonAntionWedding/2-34Antionette.htm
>
> M6TTL, 50/1.5 Nokton, Kodak's newest Portra B&W 400 C-41 film, light >from
the window to the bride's left.<<<<<<

Hi Peter,
Beautiful bride! Nice lighting and close to the perfectly lit bridal photo
with a couple of moves. No offence intended about what you put on film,
however.

I know some are going to say, " here goes the old fart again going to rip a
young guy's beautiful picture!"  Nope not me, read on.

Bride? Gorgeous.
Lighting? Absolutely incredible potential!

Here are the moves to consider under the lighting conditions available. And
this light potential, two opposing windows is fantastic to use in any
situation.

I'd reverse her body line towards the window on her right still keeping the
body on the slightly 45 degree angle to camera to slim her body line. Her
head would come back to you as it's seen towards the camera.

Now that should give you better lighting use of the window to her left,
which I'd have eliminated altogether along with the dishes / counter.

To accomplish this she'd need to shift slightly to her right or you move
camera angle slightly to the left, which then places her completely against
a clean background without any distracting elements taking away from the
bride.

As does the window to her left in the present photograph, regardless whether
some think it's "interesting background effect or not," the window and
dishes take a bunch of attention away from the bride. After all we're not
here to see whether they did the dishes or not!

She's perfect in expression as she is in your photograph, I'm only
commenting on lighting use and how I'd use it. The picture as you have is
almost as good as it get's, but a slight tweaking of body line direction and
she'd be absolutely as clean as a whistle on the screen and equally as
beautiful. Maybe even more so. ;-)

And like I said I trust no offence intended.
ted

Replies: Reply from abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge) ([Leica] Bride by window light)