Subject: [Leica] Re: Nathan's Canon - lenses
From: cummer at netvigator.com (Howard Cummer)
Date: Sun Jul 18 06:30:03 2004

On Sunday, Jul 18, 2004, at 20:59 Asia/Hong_Kong,
lug-request@leica-users.org wrote:

> Message: 30
> Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 14:57:32 +0200
> From: Nathan Wajsman <n.wajsman@chello.nl>
> Subject: Re: Nathan's Canon (WAS: [Leica] PAWS 27 and 28)
> Hi Don,
>  I have no doubt that over time, I will want to
> aquire some of Canon's L lenses, which, while not in the price class of
> Leica, are pretty expensive but also supposedly very good. In
> particular, I will look at the 1.4/35mm ($1080 at B&H) when and if
> there
> is some windfall from the tax authorities or some such. The choice in
> Canon glass is quite big, of course.
Hi Nathan,
I suggest you have a look at the Canon 24mm f1.4 L for a wider view
than the 1.4/35 - the 24 is a really remarkable lens - its only
drawback being its size.
>  Of the Leica lenses, I plan to use
> the 100mm Apo Macro and the 180mm Elmarit with the Canon. I also have
> the 19mm Elmarit but there is little point in using that given my
> choice
> of zoom above. The 60mm Macro may also serve me as a 96mm portrait lens
> until I buy something equivalent in Canon glass. Part of the decision
> about future lens purchases is how much trouble the stop-down metering
> will be with the Leica lenses. Some people say it is no problem, others
> say it is a major PITA, so I will just have to find out for myself.
In my experience the stopping down isn't so much of a problem -
maintaining accurate focus - especially with wide angle lenses - on the
Canon 10D focussing screen is the real PITA. Will be interested to hear
your impressions.
Good luck
Cheers
Howard