Subject: [Leica] transporting film
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Thu Jul 15 12:34:35 2004

Feli di Giorgio ASKED:

> How do you folks transport large quantities of film when you travel?
> Let's say 100 to 150 rolls of Tri-X, APX100 and Delta 3200.
>
> I was thinking about taking the rolls out of their little plastic cans
> and packing them in tupperware containers, which I would take along with
> my carry on luggage and ask for a hand inspection.
>
> I believe the main concern is to protect the film from humidity and
heat.<<

Hi Feli,
I remove the rolls from containers and put about 40 rolls or as many as I
can into large clear zip-lock freezer bags and carry them on the plane in a
hand bag.

I've never had a problem from security in this fashion as they usually ask
"is there any 800 or higher film in there?" If not it goes through the hand
bag scanning unit.

Then pick it up the other end and into the hand bag. And no your film wont
be fogged, screwed, ruined, wiped out, finito, el morto etc! It'll be just
fine.

And I've had film go through this routine 4 - 5 times and still absolutely
no sign of fogging nor anything else. Keeps it simple and quick! Actually
hassle free.

In case you wish to use the containers at the other end toss them loosely
into your baggage with clothes. Re-load the film at the other end and change
back into freezer bags when yer ready to come home with exposed film.

Once I've loaded the freezer bags that's where the film stays as the
assignment progresses and as the film is exposed, the exposed film is kept
in a freezer bag marked .... "EXPOSED FILM"

800-3200 films ;
Keep these in separate clear bags and marked with ASA rating. Although I've
had all kinds of 800 rated film through the hand bag scanner without fogging
etc. I don't re-call 3200 at anytime and have always asked for hand
inspection for it.

Basically what I've found lately is the security people appear to be a tad
smarter and informed re- higher speed films and deliberately ask for
anything 800 and higher, offering hand inspection.

Although there are a few places in the world that don't give a flying hoop
about ASA ratings and it's the hand scanner or else. And the "or else"
means,  "Or else you don't get on the plane. Or leave your film right
there!"

So it's your choice.
ted

ted

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] transporting film)
Reply from feli at creocollective.com (Feli di Giorgio) ([Leica] transporting film)
Reply from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] transporting film)
Message from feli at creocollective.com (Feli di Giorgio) ([Leica] transporting film)