Subject: [Leica] Re: Film vs Digital
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Wed Jul 14 13:45:10 2004

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 15:19:19 -0500, George Lottermoser
<george@imagist.com> wrote:
> dnygr7/14/04
>
> >will my 2014 computer be able to read my files from 2004.
>
> Files? probably. Disks? no.

Gee - the files are the tricky part.

> >our digital files be obsolete before long?
>
> Define files.
>         .tif has some life left.

      it's not lossy and has lots of science uses - good for quite a while

>         .eps seems to have life

      lousy for image storage

>         .jpg seems to be changing

     jpg is a standard, it's evolving and there are fights over
patents for jpg files
     but this one seems safe.

     how do you see this changing?

>         .raw - propriatary and dangerous

     absolutely true

>         .pdf has a few years yet
>         etc.
>
> >Will our storage devices be
> >dependable over the long haul?
>
> Already not dependable. I just lost an 80gig drive (second one lost).
> My average on CDrom read writes 1 out of 20 fail.

boy - do you buy from Dell or something? Hard drive failure is rare
for quality components.

Adam

Replies: Reply from george at imagist.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] Re: Film vs Digital)