Subject: [Leica] OT - another horror story about photos and the Patriot Act
From: doubs43 at cox.net (Walker Smith)
Date: Sat Jul 10 15:31:15 2004

>There are not many photographers on this list who were practicing
>during WW II. I wonder what responses the taking of photos with a
>tripod would have elicited from them? Probably not too friendly.

I can relate a story told to me by my father who had an experience with
the US Army in 1942. Someone had reported seeing a parachuitist landing
one night in the Spring of 1942 near the small town in Maryland where my
father was born and raised. The Army sent a small detachment of soldiers
to investigate. They were camped in a wooded area on a farm owned by a
Mr. Carey. My father always had his camera with him and took a couple of
pictures of the soldiers. I don't recall the location of the pictures
and they may have been taken anywhere in the local area. At any rate, my
father was "detained" and taken to the unit Commander's tent where he
was held until they could establish exactly who he was...... a matter of
an hour or so. Once his identity was verified, he was released. I think
his film was confiscated but it's been years since I've heard the story
so I'm not certain. The soldiers stayed several days, determined there
was nothing to the parachuitist story and left. The camera was likely
his Foth-Derby that my mother had given him for Christmas, 1939. It was
the beginning of an almost 60 year love affair with photography and the
Leica figured prominently in his years of experience.