Subject: [Leica] More Epson RD-1 pics
From: daniel.ridings at muspro.uio.no (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Thu Jul 8 00:58:12 2004

> What bothers me is that most of the RD-1 pictures we've seen so far have
> this soft look.  Something about the review cameras is either unfinished or
> not right.

Peter,
Maybe they don't have their software nailed down yet. From what I
understand you could use coke bottles as lenses. The software is what
makes things sharp. Part of the processing of a digital sensor is, at one
stage or another, to turn everything into mush. Then the software
eventually comes in and sharpens things up. So in the digital world it's
not a matter of who has the best optics but who has the best software. It
would make sense that the software is still in a beta stage and be the
last component to be put into production shape since it is so easy to fit
into the production line ... just download the new version and you're set.

Daniel