Subject: [Leica] Advice on monitors, computers & scanners needed
From: jonathan at openhealth.org (Jonathan Borden)
Date: Tue Jul 6 16:04:24 2004

Adam Bridge wrote:

> The dual-processor G5's are great and the mid-range machine is
> probably your best bet. They can be loaded with memory -- and the one
> thing that makes Photoshop happy is having lots of RAM to play with. I
> think the new limit on memory is 8 GB - which will cost you more than
> the computer. They also use the nifty serial ATA drives and you can
> put 2 250 GB drives inside the box. Wow...you're on your way to being
> Google! :)

done :-) the only problem is that Photoshop CS is only capable of using
2 Gb of virtual memory and 1.74 Gb of actual memory :-( (confirmed
empirically on my 4 Gb machine)

So much for CS being a 64 bit app ... on the other hand you *can* do
photoshop, final cut and browse the web all at the same time :-))

To answer the question: it all depends on your budget and requirements.
I think the low-mid range dual G5's are a particularly good deal
comparatively and 2 Gb of RAM is ~$400-500 these days.

Jonathan

Replies: Reply from reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid) ([Leica] Advice on monitors, computers & scanners needed)
Message from abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge) ([Leica] Advice on monitors, computers & scanners needed)