Subject: [Leica] New York Times anonymous fine art photography Now Mark's screw up
From: rbrowne1 at mindspring.com (Robert Browne)
Date: Sun Jul 4 10:07:51 2004

Mark Rabiner quoted in part:

"In the mid-1970s, art photography became a chic form of investment. The
prices for Weston's prints soared from a couple hundred dollars to over
thousand. He came into money for the first time in his life.

In the 1970s, Art Wright bought one of Weston's prints of his famous
"Ear
and Hand" photo for $75. The photo hangs in Wright's house and on the
canceled check to Weston is taped to the back of the frame. Today that
same
print sells for $30,000."

In the early 70's I remember visiting a photographer friend who I knew
from photo school. The only thing hanging on the wall of his studio was
a framed 8x10 original print of one of Edward Weston's nudes from his
dunes series. He told me he paid $200 for it .

Last night I did a web search for him since as it has been thirty years
since we were in contact. I found an obituary dated April 2001. The
image I'll always remember of my friend Peter is in a photo I took of
him driving his Volvo 220 on a photo road trip in western New York.
It's odd, the things that spark a connection with the past.

Robert Browne

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] New York Times anonymous fine art photography Now Mark's screw up)