Subject: [Leica] Responding to BD's venting about the Noct OFF-LIST
From: bladman99 at yahoo.ca (Dan C)
Date: Sun Jun 27 13:26:40 2004

I don't own the Noctilux, but I do own the 75/1.4, and I find when I use
that lens wide open, that the out-of-focus areas are SO out of focus, that
the wide globs of colours and blurs detract from whatever it is that I am
actually photographing.  The first few times it is like, wow, this is cool!
 But after awhile, it starts getting boring, for me anyways.   It reminds
me a bit of when circular fish-eye lenses were all the rage when I first
started getting interested in photography, back in the '60s.  They always
looked cool, and I always wished that I could afford to buy one.  But there
are only so many times I want to get that effect (reminds me of the
Voigtander/Cosina 12mm that I have collecting dust in my camera bag).

My take on the Noctilux is that I would use it in really dark places, where
no other lens would get the job done.  I wouldn't buy that lens for the
bokeh.

By the way, for me bokeh depends a lot on the circumstances of the
photograph.   I don't normally consider my Minolta 100/2.8 macro to have
nice bokeh, but depending on the aperture I'm using, and the distance of
the main subject, and the distance between the subject and the background
objects (and what the background consists of),  the bokeh can look quite
beautiful.  Other times, it can look harsh.   On the other hand, nothing
beats the bokeh of my 75 summilux when shooting portraits at f2.8.

MHO.

-dan c.

Message from bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] Responding to BD's venting about the Noct OFF-LIST)