Subject: [Leica] declining quality of writing
From: mail at gpsy.com (Karen Nakamura)
Date: Fri Jun 25 17:32:41 2004

>William Zinsser, On Writing Well (ISBN 0-06-000664-1). I think Phong might
>find it helpful _after_ the little book.

I used Zinnser in my freshman writing class last year. Quite a nice
book. The problem these days is that freshman writing classes are
never just writing classes anymore. They are always layered onto
something else, in this case it was visual anthropology (ethnographic
filmmaking). So the students were busy with their Handycams at the
same time they had 10 page assignments from me.

Having anthropologists teach writing is also not the greatest idea.
The days of Malinowski and Mead are over, most anthropologists
(including myself) couldn't write to get themselves into a potlatch.
But in our defense, every department has to teach freshman writing --
even the physicists and economists!

Such is the modern liberal arts college.

Karen Nakamura

--
Karen Nakamura

Replies: Reply from alal at duke.poly.edu (A. Lal) ([Leica] declining quality of writing)