Subject: [Leica] declining quality of writing
From: daniel.ridings at muspro.uio.no (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Thu Jun 24 06:20:51 2004

> Speaking of good writing, can anyone recommend
> a college level English grammar book ?  I am helping
> someone with his writing skills.

Quirk, R., Greenbaum, S., Leech, G. and Svartvik, J. (1985) A
comprehensive grammar of the English language, London: Longman. (A
condensed version was published as Greenbaum and Quirk 1990.)

http://www.edu-books.com/A_Comprehensive_Grammar_of_the_English_Language_0582517346.html

Leech, G. and Svartvik, J. (1994) A communicative grammar of English, 2nd
edition, London: Longman.

Leech, Quirk and Svartvik are the names to keep an eye out for.

Daniel