Subject: [Leica] RE: While it is happening (B. D. Colen)writing goingdwnhll
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Wed Jun 23 21:41:23 2004

on 6/23/04 4:37 PM, B. D. Colen at bdcolen@earthlink.net wrote:

> The Civil War letters are a perfect example - albeit 100 years older -
> of what I've been talking about. Every day people, with basic
> educations, were able to write clear, concise, well constructed prose.
>
> B. D.

OTOH how many people during the civil war era knew much about particle
physics or the chemistry that has led to Tri-X or the CCD chip.  What I'm
attempting to say is that we all have our strengths anw weaknesses and the a
lack of writing skills by itself does not indicate that the sky is falling
in our educational system.  I don't know about anyone else but when quantum
mechanics got shoved into my head there wasn't room for everything and the
space in my head allocated to penmanship and typing skills is one of those
things that shrunk.

Someone with a journalists background will bemoan the demise of writing
skills such as were preserved from the Civil War era (presuming that this
was the norm) while a 50-something computer professional will likewise be
frustrated with the dearth of college graduates who can format a floppy disk
from the command line.  Technology changes and the skills we value will
change or we get left in the dust of history.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] RE: While it is happening (B. D. Colen)writing goingdwnhll)