Subject: [Leica] Epson R-D1
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed Jun 23 15:28:58 2004

On 6/23/04 10:53 AM, "Robert Rose" <rjr@usip.com> wrote:

> DPReview has a link to a Japanese website that has posted a review in
> Japanese and samples.
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0406/04062101epsonrd1samps.asp
>
> Anyone read Japanese?
>
> Interesting that DPReview thinks the samples are "fairly average".  Do
> you think only Cosina lenses were used in the test?
>
> Bob Rose

Yes those lenses were all Cosina. That must have been part of the agreement
in the lending of the camera. Lousy of them to not let the curious public
check out what Leica optics might look like in direct digital as that would
be a high percentage of the market for the camera body. But no they've got
to sell their lenses.
Or maybe it was the reviewer.
I though the statements the reviewer made about the images on the "test"
were constantly presumptions.
As they were not made in direct comparison with other images from other
cameras side by side. I never underestimate the power of subjectivity. The
least one can do is have two images side by side in front of you before you
start making statements. Otherwise it could be what you had for breakfast is
what you are reviewing.

A test is not a guy/gal going out with a camera/lens and shooting some
pictures and blowing up parts of them and saying:
"Gee I think my Nikon/Canon does better/worse than this."!

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/