Subject: [Leica] Erwin on the new M-50/1.4 ASPH
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun Jun 20 21:12:34 2004

> Yes, he likes it, but he also notes "Bo-ke aficionados will have mixed
> feelings about the performance of the lens".
>snippet<

In press releases from Nikon and Canon which invariably come with their new
lenses and I think from Leica as well "Bokeh" is an issue directly mentioned
now almost always! What has the world come to they must all read the LUG
religiously every morning forgoing their New York times!
So the way I see it this is not a parameter Leica is going to forget about
in a new "flagship" type lens as a 50 1.4 is going to be felt to be by the
old-timers who rule the world.

They are not going to go "gee we've addressed all these other issues
outclassing all other optics in that regard its a shame the Bokeh goes down
the tubes as a result!" Sayonara Auf Wiederh?ren!

I bet the Bokeh is not so bad. As a matter of fact I'd bet the Bokeh is darn
good having the subtle fragrance of Jasmine at dewy dawn.
In any case are we going to use an old optic which is mush when it is IN
focus just because the mush in the out of focus areas is so nicely mashed
with peas and garlic? No lumps?

With every ASPH lens on the lug Leica has come out with since the 24 the
Bokeh has been big in question and a great reason not to upgrade as we can't
get over the opinion the Bokeh on the oldies is so PRECIOUS PRECIOUS.
The Bokeh panic has not born itself out though. The Bokeh on the cutting
edge new Leica lens designs have been just groovy.
I think it's in the definition of well designed lens that they are going to
exhibit the properly corrected Bokeh issues. I think Leica makes well
designed lenses as a starting point. Which is putting it mildly.

And I never add milk to my mashed potatoes. Nor my scrambled eggs. It's
death to either. Leave them alone I say so they can each exhibit the
integrity of their own Bokeh essence.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon