Subject: [Leica] The 180 Summicron
From: helme at home.nl (Arne Helme)
Date: Sun Jun 20 11:20:19 2004

My experience with the 2/180 Summicron is that at short focusing distances
there's no depth of field at all.  Using the lens I even discovered that my
R8
had an focusing inaccuracy that had to be adjusted :-)!  It is funny, though
watch through the viewfinder how things pop into focus when focusing the
2/180.

Same thing with the Noctilux by the way, no DoF.  So I don't either of these
lenses wide open in close up situations unless it is really necessary.  The
Noctilux doesn't even perform that well at f1 when focused in the range
1-1.5m.
 I gave up on the Noct and got myself a 1.4/75mm instead.

The link below shows the result of using the 2/180mm Summicron wide open at a
rather close distance.  The colors are a bit off (my scanner/software did not
handle Kodacrhromes that well when these were scanned).

http://helme.stelvio.nl/people01/people0003.jpg

--
Arne Helme
Email: helme at home.nl (^" at "^@)