Subject: [Leica] Re: An R series question
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Douglas Herr)
Date: Fri Jun 18 15:08:33 2004

Emanuel Lowi <lowiemanuel@yahoo.ca> wrote:

> A couple of years ago, when shopping for a new SLR, I
> tried a variety of brands, all with fast 180-200mm
> lenses affixed. On handling and ease of focus, the
> Leica R8 with motor and 180/2 were by far the best.
>
> I have a hard time imaging that big 180
> balanced on a motorless SL or SL-2.
>
> Please correct me if I'm wrong on that, Doug.

I have no personal experience with this combination but what you say makes a
lot of sense.  The SL's viewfinder and indestructability are legendary but
as a total package the R8 or R9 with motor probably would balance better
with the 180 f/2 than an unmotorized SL or SL2.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com