Subject: [Leica] An R series question
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Thu Jun 17 20:27:10 2004

on 6/17/04 5:20 PM, Slobodan Dimitrov at s.dimitrov@charter.net wrote:

> The RE is a great R-light. They tend to be in better shape than other
> models, probably due to very light usage by amateurs.
> I'm on my second one, only because of seller's remorse when I got rid of my
> first one.
> S. Dimitrov

A word of caution with the R4 through R6 and possibly R7 bodies: the tripod
mount is a weak point.  A blow to the camera when mounted on a tripod, or a
tripod tiooing over, can break the tripod mount out of the camera's main
casting.  This in not economical to repair; I should be receiving my 2nd
free R body with broken main casting (this one an RE) in a few weeks.

Contrast this with the SL: the tripod mount is part of the base plate,
anchored by a captive nut attached to a sub-frame.  The sub-frame is the
weak link in this setup; it would break instead of the main casting.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

Replies: Reply from alal at duke.poly.edu (A. Lal) ([Leica] An R series question)