Subject: [Leica] Re: Light has to travel in straight lines.
From: jean.louchet at inria.fr (Jean Louchet)
Date: Thu Jun 17 12:43:00 2004

Sorry again Neil.

Even with a 21mm or a 15mm all the circles will project as circles.
If the real circles have the same diameter, their images will have the
same diameter. If math theory is not your cup of tea (after all this list
is on photography rather than on math), then have a try next time you get
out with your wide-angle. Trying with a SLR and a grid focusing screen
will make it obvious.

Still assuming the wall is perpendicular to the lens axis, I agree that a
point of the wall that projects near a corner of the picture will be
further away from the lens than a point of the same wall whose projection
is right in the middle of the picture. But this is _exactly_ compensated
by the fact that a point in the corner of the film will be further away
from the lens principal point (optical centre) than a point in the centre
of the image. The reproduction ratio will be exactly the same.

If doubt persists, have a look at a good projective geometry textbook, for
example: Faugeras, O., "Three-dimensional computer vision, a geometric
viewpoint" (MIT Press, Cambridge, Mass., 1993), or the original source: R.
Descartes, "Geometrie", 1637, but a simple drawing on a sheet of paper
(in the case of a pinhole camera, which is the adequate perspective model)
should be convincing enough.

I agree that people on corners of wide-angle pictures or on close-ups are
"deformed" but this is only because they are non-planar (fortunately).
This will be the same with a nice 21mm or with a "perfect" pinhole.

Best wishes and happy leicaing!

Jean

--
 Dr Jean Louchet       COMPLEX Project     INRIA Rocquencourt
                       BP105   78153 Le Chesnay cedex, France