Subject: [Leica] Re: in memoriam: Sal DiMarco, Jr.
From: paladin007 at comcast.net (Paul T. Winkfield)
Date: Tue Jun 15 10:56:49 2004

Hi All,

I had talked to Sal Thursday inviting him to meet MichalDaniel and Keri who
was in town that evening, and Monday morning I sent email to Kyle and Sal
updating them on the meeting, I was having shortness of breath so I spent
afternoon at my doctor's getting tests;  when I checked mail last night Kyle
sent email giving me the news.

In 2002, I came up with an idea for the PLUG, we were meeting every first
Friday for Philly's gallery openings, I thought we should show our work in
addition to viewing other artists' works. The 'usual suspects' became Sal,
Glen, Alfie, Kyle and myself; we either showed work or gave moral support,
we had great fun. We had various other artists join also.  Here are some
photos of Sal at the event. Glen is actually taking a picture across the
street, I got a grab shot from hip creating the funny composition.

 http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=2446585&size=lg

another one Glen Sal, and Glen's co-worker/photog with Olympus pen half
frame camera.

I first met Sal  February 27, 1999, at the awesome MALUG meet in D.C.  On
train to Philly, Sal, my wife, me and a NYLUG guy took over a corner of the
car with Sal the ringmaster, telling stories of his assignments; last couple
years, Glen and I was trying to get him to write a book. When Sal was
working for the Bulletin, I was a paperboy for the firm! He was also
supervisor of a friend of mine who also was a photog for the paper.

 I think I really  surprised Sal for knowing some of the same people in his
field (I play a computer guy in prime time) and my attitudes about being a
photographer. We're also both James Bond fans, we both owned model Aston
Martins, Sal trumped me in also owning an Aston Martin team jacket, I one
upped him by giving him a CD 'Basie Meets Bond' by the Count and his
orchestra, he didn't know one existed!

Likewise with B.D., he had a quick wit, but once, he was caught
speechless..last January Sal, Glen and I met at the Continental (great
Martinis) for first Saturday, the PLUG day after the Friday event.

We had drinks (lots) and food, then we went gallery hopping, we decided to
get coffee and stopped at Starbucks, the barrister asked as we walked in
what we'd like, and Sal ordered, she looked at us with a serious face and
said we out of coffee, the look on Sal's face would sink a ship then she
yelled 'gotcha!'  I think she's the only one who Sal didn't have a
come-back! :)  I gave her a nice tip for the experience!

I'm really going to miss him.
<paul>