Subject: [Leica] Remembering the Reagan years
From: vze249jf at verizon.net (Jon)
Date: Wed Jun 9 21:14:27 2004

> There is a period of time in which former world leaders are judged by
> historians. Usually before history becomes legend and then myth.

Reagan was a mythic creature. So many mik

> He restored America's confidence after the debacles of Vietnam and Iran.
> (Vietnam destroyed Johnson's Great Society and his presidency.)

Oh my... he was the 'great corrupter' in my eyes. I see the mentally ill on
the streets everyday in NYC that were once housed in Federal institutions he
closed. Disgusting.

> He ended the cold war, destroyed the Warsaw Pact and brought eastern Europe
> back into the western world. In process he never had to fire a shot to do
> so.
> (Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon, Ford and Carter couldn't do
> it.)

Well, he often took credit for events that were already in motion. We won't
recover from the financial nightmare he oversaw.

> Too many world leaders are politicians first and statesman never.

Reagan certainly wasn't a statesman. How about him saying he helped liberate
Auschwitz? What an embarassment! A bad actor and a worse politician.

Jon
Brooklyn