Subject: [Leica] A Brandon Surprise!
From: msmall at infionline.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Wed Jun 9 16:47:48 2004

I was surprised today to have Bob Shell, the former editor of SHUDDERBUG,
lend me a unique VernonScope lens, an 80mm f/6.3 (to photographers, a 500mm
f/6.3) lens with a helical focuser.  This is a telescope VenronScope has
been marketing in a variety of versions for the past two decades.

This one is a prototype Don Yeiier produced with a helical focuser.  That
is, it focuses as does a camera lens by twisting and not by the
conventional rack-and-pinion of a regular spotting scope.  The telescope
comes with a 2" ocular fitting with an M42 adapter.

It is a fascinating piece and I will do a shoot-off between this telescope,
my APO-Televid, my Q-Unitron, and my Questar 800mm f/9.  I have also
purchased a 5/400 Pan-Tele-Kilar and own one of the magnificent 5/40cm,
second version, Leitz Telyts.  And I own both the 8/500 and the 6.3/500
MTO's by way of comparison.

I suspect that the Questar will come in first, as it was designed by Ed
Kaprelian, his final significant gift to optical science. But we shall find
out.

Marc

msmall@infionline.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!