Subject: [Leica] Sharp lenses, who cares?
From: chmphoto at sbcglobal.net (Clive Moss)
Date: Tue Jun 8 11:33:27 2004

Phong said the following on 6/8/2004 7:33 AM:

> Richard F. Man wrote, about Unsharp Mask:
>
>>So in layperson's term, exactly what does these settings do?
>

> I'll take a shot at answering your question.
> USM creates hightlight "grooves" along shadow / highlight
> edges to inscrease the contrast along those edges.  As we
> know, increasing the contrast gives the illusion of "sharpness".
>
> "Amount" specifies how "deep" these grooves are.  Depth is
> measured in terms of the difference between the shadow and the
> highlight.
>
> "Radius" specifies how "wide" the grooves are, measured in pixels.
>
> "Threshold" specifies how big the difference between shadow
> and highlight must be before the mask is applied to an edge.
>
> Hope that helps,
All true -- I think what Richard was asking was why/how weird settings
with a very large radius work. Normally, sharpening happens with a small
radius from .5 to 2 0r 3 and a large amount50% to 500%. With a large
radius -- like 60 or 70, and an amount of about 30%, it makes the
picture "glow" -- sort of enhances clarity. Looks very different than
the usual sharpening effect. I like it (sometimes).

Gives the Leica "glow" to any camera :-)
--
Clive
http://www.pbase.com/chmoss/root