Subject: [Leica] FW: Photographer's Rights Protest NYC
From: SonC at aol.com (SonC@aol.com)
Date: Mon Jun 7 08:38:55 2004

Indeed, I sent my complaint several weeks ago, and have received two
acknowledgements, one saying that my message will be a part of the record
during  the
actual hearings.
--
SonC in Natchitoches.
(we don't have a subway, but I do show up in NYC from time to time, and I
phong@doan-ltd.com writes:

Tim  Atherton wrote:
> http://photographersrights.mtude.com/

Here's a  report of the protest from the New York  Times
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/07/nyregion/07subway.html

I am  disappointed only 100 photographers showed up for
the protest.  I  would have made it down to NYC if I had known
about the protest  sooner.  Anyway, I am glad that it made
the coverage in the NY  Times.

Please send in your comment to the New York  Metropolitan
Transportation Authority.  According to the NY Times, the  MTA
is soliciting public comments on the issue.   I don't think  you
need to be a NYC resident, or even a USA resident  to  comment;
I would like photographers from all over the world to let  the MTA know
it's a bad idea.

The proposed change regarding  photography can be found
under Section 1050.9 "Restricted areas and  activities",
paragraphed c) in  http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/rules/nyct.htm

Here is the new wording of  the paragraph:
(c)  No photograph, film or video recording shall be  made or taken
o or in any conveyance or facility by any person, except  members
of the press holding valid press identification cards issued by  the
New York City Police Department or by others duly authorized in
writing to engage in such activity by the authority.  All  photographic
activity must be conducted in accordance with the provisions  of this
Part.

To send your comment to the MTA, go to the  page:
http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/rules/proposed.htm
At the bottom of  the page you can click and send send in your
comment.

Please spread  the word.

- Phong

Regards,