Subject: [Leica] Canon scanner software (was: Digital M)
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Sun Jun 6 17:13:32 2004

At 06:29 AM 6/6/04 -0700, Greg Locke wrote:
>The software that came with a friends Canon professional digital cameras
>SUCK!!!  Totally useless!
>The same is true for the interface software that came with my otherwise
>WONDERFUL Canon film scanner.

Greg:  Do you by any chance have the Canon FS-4000 scanner?   I also have
it, and have to agree.  The scanner is great.  But the software seems to
drop big chunk off of both the highlights and shadows, leaving you with a
high-contrast scan that is useless for much except a print that looks like
it came off the automatic machine at your local drugstore.  I've tried all
sorts of things, but never got a scan with sufficient dynamic range.

So I use VueScan with the FS-4000.  VueScan gives me all of the dynamic
range in the negative or slide. Then I can mess with curves in Picture
Window Pro to get what I want.

But, the CanonScan software is easier to use, and the native FARE (IR
dust/scratch removal) is a bit better.  Have you had any luck with getting
CanonScan to retain highlight and shadow detail, or is it truly hopeless?

Wonderful iceberg photos, BTW.

--Peter Klein
Seattle, WA

Replies: Reply from DouglasMSharp at netscape.net (Douglas M. Sharp) ([Leica] Canon scanner software)