Subject: [Leica] Do not photograph fire hydrants
From: phong at doan-ltd.com (Phong)
Date: Sat Jun 5 14:32:20 2004

Gwpics@aol.com wrote:

>   I really think some of you Americans have lost the plot!

Indeed, very strange things happen at the mall.  :-)

Actually, I think this is the Revenge of the Mall Management.
For several years now, I have been prevented by various mall
security types from taking photos at the mall.  I think Mall
Management realizes that sooner or later some post-modern
street photographers will publish photos criticizing or poking fun
at the mall culture.   Aren't there already a whole bunch of photographic
works about modern consumerism ?  Now, mall management
is  just using the "security" excuse to justify their inane
 "no photography"  policy.

I also think that there is a concern among merchants that people
(say Asian) copying their merchandise and store display design.
Perhaps hydrant design too ?  :-)

And last but not least,  I believe there is a prevalent fear of law suits;
merchants and mall management (and the police, and the military)
just don't like to have photos inadvertently showing them doing
something wrong.  It's about security all right.  Theirs, not ours !

- Phong

Replies: Reply from jshul at comcast.net (Jim Shulman) ([Leica] Do not photograph fire hydrants)