Subject: [Leica] RE: Summicron 50
From: lowiemanuel at yahoo.ca (Emanuel Lowi)
Date: Fri Jun 4 13:59:35 2004

Christopher Saganich wrote:

> I was counting this way:
>
> First version 1954-1957 Collapsible chrome, 7
> elements, focused to 40"
> Second version 1956-68 Rigid chrome, 7 elements,
> focused to 40"
> Third version 1956-1968 Dual Range Summicron,
> chrome, 7 elements
> Fourth version 1969-1979 Black lens with no "50" on
> barrel
> Fifth version 1980-95 Black lens with "50" on
> barrel, reintroduced focusing lever, without built
> in hood.
> Sixth version 1995-date Black or chrome  lens with
> "50" on barrel and built in hood
>
> Chris Saganich

Personally, I try not to refer to lenses and cameras
by version numbers. Despite the attraction of a
shorthand version designation, in fact there are so
many very minor variations in Leica products that a
truly comprehensive compendium of versions for many
common items will quickly induce insanity.

There are 50/2 Summicron optical versions and 50/2
Summicron exterior versions and to mix the two can be
mighty confusing. Better to describe or list the
specific characteristics of a particular item. Serial
numbers also help.

Emanuel Lowi
Montreal