Subject: [Leica] Re: FS Noctilux
From: fmaturana at euskalnet.net (Felix Lopez de Maturana)
Date: Thu Jun 3 06:23:20 2004

>Yea but how good was the Noct 1.2? I heard not so good.
>

>Mark Rabiner
>Photography
>Portland Oregon

Mark

Don't believe them! Excellent lens bearing in mind that "every" speedy lens
has some inconveniences due to his design. A f2 lens, being all other things
equal, will be sharper than a f1 lens. Noct Nikkor has very well corrected
coma and is as sharp as such a open lens could be. I think not is truly
inferior to Noctilux and if it is not so much. The great worthiness of Leica
lenses is their ability in producing stunning images full open, but the
Nikkor Noct was a lens hand made and designed without any restriction, see
the second hand price, and his images are really good. I own several Nikkor
lenses in the f1.2 f1.4 and f2 area manufactured by Nikon and if they do not
reach the outstanding quality of Leica, as the 21 f2.8, 28 f2 and 35 f1,4
their Nikkor equivalent 20 f2.8, 28 f2 and 35 f1.4 have certainly a very
high quality.

This becomes more and more important as far as many Leica users will not
wait for a digital camera and are buying the new Nikon D70 or Canon Rebel,
until the moment the new Leica digital will be here. They have not to be
afraid as Nikkor lenses if not always, only sometimes, reach the excellence,
are nevertheless of a very good quality. My only suggestion...do not buy the
zoom that comes with them just spend some more in the excellent 16/17-35
f2.8 zooms from Nikon or Canon... far better. They vignette and have bigger
distortion than corresponding primes but, just closing a little diaphragm,
are a delight of comfort and produce crisp images.Their 24/28-70 and 70-200
f2.8 zooms are not so far, if they are, from Leica zooms.  If my opinion may
interest someone I do prefer Canon for his much extended lens range.

I hope, in Photokine where I'll be next September, that the Leica R digital
back stop this pilgrimage to other marques...But sincerely I'm not sure.

Regards

Felix