Subject: [Leica] Re: Available light photography
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue Jun 1 11:40:58 2004

Larry Z explained & asked:

>>He came over to borrow my Leica with its f1.2 50 mm lens and plans on >
using the fastest film he can buy. Other than that he seems woefully
> unaware of all the techniques we used in the "dark ages" to grab
> available light shots of black cats in coal cellars. He knew nothing of
> latensification, pre-exposure flashing, hypersensitization, etc. He was
> unaware of the tension string or beanbag approach to steady a camera.
>
> Question:
>
> Are these techniques used anymore? Is film fast enough to do what we
> want without help?
> Have we lowered our expectations about conditions in which pictures can >
be taken? <<<

Larry mon ami,
What century was that? ;-) I know these terms and even though I've been
shooting 50 plus years I never ever used them even way back in 1950! It
wasn't necessary then unless you were shooting 4X5 individual sheets of
film.

Besides I'd sure hate to "pre-flash a roll of KODAK 36 exp. tmax ASA 3200!"
;-)

My advice is very simple...... Whatever you do, do not tell your nephew how
to shoot this thing other than telling him not to drop your Leica.

Hand him a roll of Ilford 1600 and get him out the door at 4 a.m., actually
be real good and give him a brick of film and push him out the door on his
way.

All he has to do is shoot at reasonable shutter speeds not less than a
1/15th or 1/8th of a second and it should be a piece of cake for a young
lad, certainly with a Leica. Besides these locations are so well lit one
could get away with ASA 100 film and an f1.0 Noctilux! :-)

And with your Leica 50mm f1.2 lens he's laughing all the way to a successful
shoot even with ASA 400 film!

I suggest you do not say anything else about these "ancient film techniques"
or if so, only as a story telling thing of "I remember when etc etc etc."
Or the poor lad will be the laughing stock of his class mates if he should
be influenced in trying your methods that died with the demise of the dodo
bird, :-) High speed lenses and film. :-)
ted