Subject: [Leica] Depression FSA Kodachromes
From: abridge at dcn.org (Adam Bridge)
Date: Mon May 31 15:20:46 2004

On Monday, May 31, 2004 Tim Atherton thoughtfully wrote:

>For those that thought maybe the Depression was something that only happened
>in Black and White - here are a small selection of Kodachromes from FSA
>photographers.

<http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2004/05/07/magazine/20040509PORT_SLIDESHOW_1.
html>

>looks rather more real....

I like very much the one of the children laying on the bed during the dance and
the group saying grace in New Mexico.

I'm not certain what color adds to these because I find myself remarking more on
their clothes and how familiar those colors and patterns were to me as a child
in the 50s in the mid-west - I recognized a lot from those images which is now
past.

But...was my reaction to their clothes one that I have developed as a reaction
to black and white photography?

I don't know.

Color and black and white are different worlds like painting and pen-and-ink.

Adam