Subject: [Leica] This here fancy 50
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Douglas Herr)
Date: Thu May 27 09:57:02 2004

"Beddoe, Neil" <nbeddoe@lehman.com> wrote:

> I liked it better when I couldn't even think about affording completely
> unjustifiable stuff like this.  At least then I didn't have countless
> arguments with myself about why I REALLY need one.
>
> Of course nobody needs a 1500 quid 50mm lens.  The whole thing's a silly
> idea.  Really silly.
>
> Bet it feels nice and solid though.
>
> Pointless thing.
>
> And positive to focus.
>
> Just daft.
>
> I wonder how much I could get for that Summicron...

This is the kind of stuff I went through when I considered replacing both the 250mm Telyt-R and 280mm f/4.8 Telyt on Televit-R with the 280mm f/4 APO - really an outlandishly expensive lens - what did I need a 280 APO for when I already had a perfectly good 280, and a 250 for backup?  The irrational won and I bought the 280 APO - turns out it's among my most rational camera-buying decisions ever.  The 280 APO is threatening to replace the 400 6.8 as my favorite most-used don't-leave-home-without-it lens.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] This here fancy 50)