Subject: [Leica] This here fancy 50
From: rpalmier at depaul.edu (Robert Palmieri)
Date: Thu May 27 06:47:49 2004

Feli wrote:

>THIS WEEK:

>Good grief, the current Lux is 40 years old! It is soft,overpriced
>and useless! I might as well be shooting with a Nikon! I'm buying a
Nocton!

>NEXT WEEK:
>
>Good grief, the new Lux is cold, sterile, has ugly ASPH bokeh and lacks
>that Leica glow! I'll never sell my old Lux! Never!

>;-)

Certainly one of the funniest things I've ever read here and, as is so
often the case with such things, contains more than a little bit of
truth.

This release of the new 'Lux is quite an interesting event, in that
Leica is calling many people's bluffs.  They've actually put into
production what could prove to be the best fast "normal" lens ever
(we'll soon see...). Also, I believe, the priciest. A $2500 "normal" is
one heckuva nervy proposition.  Yet the idea of a manufacturer putting
that much effort into what most companies see as a somewhat pedestrian
piece of gear (while a few of us really appreciate its value) is one of
the very things many of us hope that Leica will continue to do.

That, and whatever the heck else they need to bring to market to keep
the company viable.

'Cause as much as I cheer on the idea, I just can't afford to point that
much cash at that piece of gear.  But I certainly hope there are enough
snappers of better heel than me to generate the kinds of sales numbers
that will make Leica continue to exhibit this kind of radical behavior.

'Course, as Feli said, there's still this "signature" issue to the
imaging...

Bob Palmieri

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] This here fancy 50)
Reply from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] This here fancy 50)