Subject: [Leica] Don's PAW 21, adventures in antique camera's
From: rpalmier at depaul.edu (Robert Palmieri)
Date: Sun May 23 08:30:45 2004

Don -

That pi-ana shot is really beautiful.  I'm always happy to be reminded
that well-trodden ground as regards subject matter can often yield new
imagery when approached with an inspired eye.

Regarding vintage wides, I bought a really great print (from the 70's, I
believe) of a 1950 photo by Art Shay, another high practitioner of
classic Leica shooting style.  It's about 16"x24" and for my money
defines the level of quality in terms of tonality, detail, grain
structure and sharpness that many of us shoot for. (It also happens to
be such a teriffic street shot that even without this level of technical
perfection it would still be on my wall.)

Specs are: "Double XX in Harvey's 777, Leica II (D) with 35mm 2.8
Biogon, 1/60 @ 5.6. Chalk up another one for Zeiss, I say...

Didn't Winogrand use a Canon 28 for a lot of his street stuff?

This also reminds me that in the recent discussion of 50's I fergot to
mention how good test shots from the 50 1.4 screwmount Nikkors and
Canons looked to me when I was shopping...

Bob Palmieri

Replies: Reply from dorysrus at mindspring.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] Don's PAW 21, now Winogrand used a 28)
Reply from s.dimitrov at charter.net (Slobodan Dimitrov) ([Leica] Don's PAW 21, adventures in antique camera's)