Subject: [Leica] More than 1 Ms?
From: TTAbrahams at aol.com (TTAbrahams@aol.com)
Date: Thu May 20 21:20:30 2004

 I tend to use at least two M-bodies, one with a 35 on it and the other with
either a wider lens or a 50 (depending on what I am shooting). There is
usually a third body stashed in my rather scruffy Brady 'Ariel Trout" fishing bag. I
am travelling there is a 90 somewhere, either in the bag or in a pocket. It
used to the a Elmarit-M but now it is the CV Apo-Lanthar (90/3,5) as it is
lighter and as good, if not better than the 90/2,8. Currently my favourite kit is
the MP 0,58 in black paint, a M2 in black pant and a second M2 in the bag. The
MP is used for non-TriX, ACROS/Delta or even Efke 25. The M2's have Tri-X in
them only. This way I know what film is being used and I dont have to any
mental gymnastics with exposures as the MP has bright little red lights that tells
me what it is supposed to be! The other advantages is that the M2's can take
my 21/3,4 Super Angulon without having to compensate for the 'intruding" rear
element.
 It is possible to carry and use 3 M's without problem, short strap one body
(usually the one with the 35) and a longer strap for the 21, these go around
the neck and then the 50 or 90 over the right shoulder. Unexposed film in the
left pocket, exposed in the right pocket.
 As I do have more than 3 M-bodies (many more)! I tend to cycle through them
every month so that they dont feel neglected. This also keeps track of any
potential problems with shutterspeeds. Every body has notches filed in the
film-gate and by using triangular, round and square files you can quickly identify
which body is acting up.
 I find that the meter in the M6/MP's slows down my speed. The eye wanders to
the diodes very quickly and you loose a bit of concentration. Not a big
problem if you are working in a more organised fashion, but for quick, reactive
shots, you can lose it. A veteran press shooter taught me a trick in the late
50's. Every time you bagged a camera, you put it at 1/250 and f8 with the lens at
infinity. If you have to quickly get that camera and lens combo out, you now
no which way to turn the shutterspeed dial, the aperture ring and the focus
and you really dont have to look at the camera until the last second for a fine
tune of the focus! It becomes 2nd nature after a while (just like turning the
aperture ring on a Nikon F when you change lenses - I still do that even if
the camera has a sports finder
or a prism on it).
 I was never a great fan of the M3 as my primary lens is a 35 and the
'goggled" 35's are a pain to use. They are too big to stuff in a pocket and they do
'dim" the view through the finder. The MP is good, just as good as my
Millennium M6 or any of the older M6's. The 0.58 finder is the first finder since the
M2 that I really liked. With the 35 on it there is only that frame to contend
with, no confusion any more. It works with the 50 too, but by the time you get
to 75/90, forget it. Thus three 0.58 bodies (1 TTL, 1 Millennium 'special" and
the MP), a couple of 0,72's (older M6 classics) and a 0.85 LHSA TTL. I will
not reveal how many M2's and, yes M3's I have stashed in the camera cabinet or
in my bag!
Tom A