Subject: [Leica] Those egrets? They ARE related to dinosaurs
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Douglas Herr)
Date: Wed May 19 14:58:43 2004

Adam Bridge <abridge@dcn.org> wrote:

> After Sunday afternoon I have no doubts that birds and dinosaurs, large viscious
> meat eating dinosaurs, are related.

According to some theories birds are feathered dinosaurs.

> A raptor (a kite perhaps?) hovered waiting for a rodent:

> http://www.splitsecondfilms.com/2004-05-Valley/E100VS-20-W.Yolo-crp-crv-shrp.jpg

Hard to tell from this photo but I think it's a Northern Harrier.  The White-tailed Kite usually hunts from altitude and gently floats down onto the unsuspecting rodent.  The Harrier hunts closer to the ground.

(great egret series)
> http://www.splitsecondfilms.com/2004-05-Valley/Portra160NC-03-Birds-crp-crv-shrp.jpg
> http://www.splitsecondfilms.com/2004-05-Valley/Portra160NC-08-Birds-crp-crv-shrp.jpg
> http://www.splitsecondfilms.com/2004-05-Valley/Portra160NC-09-Birds-crp-crv-shrp.jpg
> http://www.splitsecondfilms.com/2004-05-Valley/Portra160NC-15-Birds-crp-crv-shrp.jpg
> http://www.splitsecondfilms.com/2004-05-Valley/Portra160NC-16-Birds-crp-crv-shrp.jpg

excellent series.  keep that 560 handy.

> There were other birds in the field, also a kind of heron I believe. I'm guessing maybe
> black night herons although perhaps not:

> http://www.splitsecondfilms.com/2004-05-Valley/Portra160NC-30-Birds-crp-crv-shrp.jpg

Black-crowned Night Heron.  This one doesn't seem as sharp as the others.  Is it cropped, or were there some heat waves?

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

Replies: Reply from abridge at dcn.org (Adam Bridge) ([Leica] Those egrets? They ARE related to dinosaurs)