Subject: [Leica] Burning a hole in the shutter
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Wed May 19 13:16:40 2004

On another list, the subject of cloth vs. metal shutters has come up.  The
danger of the sun burning a hole in the shutter curtain was cited as an
advantage of the metal shutter.

In over 30 years of using Leicas, I have never burned a hole in my shutter
(knock on wood, ptu-ptu-ptu!) .  I wonder how long it actually takes to
happen.  Nowadays I often set my lens to close focus when I'm facing the
sun on sunny days, just in case.  But I never did this before, and I never
had a problem.

I suspect normal body movement usually moves the sun's image around enough
so that the shutter doesn't "catch."  On bright days, lenses are usually
stopped down, so less energy reaches the curtain.  I suspect that people
have to leave the camera lying still in the sun for an appreciable length
of time for the shutter to "catch." And probably the lens has to be fairly
wide open and focused on or near infinity.

I'm curious how much of a danger this really is.  Has anyone heard of
someone actually testing this out--hopefully on an already bad
curtain!  :-)  Does anyone have any firsthand information about such a
test?  Or, would anyone who actually burned a hole in their shutter be game
enough to tell us how it happened?

--Peter

P.S.  I have seen one Leica with a burnt hole  in the shutter.  The
original shutter on one of my cameras had a little patch over such a
hole.  I don't know how it happened, because the previous owner said he
bought it that way.  I happily used the camera until one of the curtain
strings failed, at which point I had both curtains replaced.  It worked
fine before, and it works fine now.

Replies: Reply from firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin) ([Leica] Burning a hole in the shutter)
Reply from jbilin at axionet.com (Barbara and Jacques Bilinski) ([Leica] Burning a hole in the shutter)
Reply from george at imagist.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] Burning a hole in the shutter)