Subject: [Leica] 50mm lenses should be compulsory.
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Douglas Herr)
Date: Wed May 19 08:25:03 2004

Jeffery Smith <jls@runbox.com> wrote:

> Yikes, I thought all of the perspective control problems in shooting
> buildings could be traced to a wide angle lens causing the roof to be
> overly small, giving you a trapezoid effect. Don't wide angles distort
> things, causing converging parallels?

Converging parallels is what you get when the film plane isn't parallel to the parallel lines.  Has nothing to do with the angle of view - but you _notice_ the convergence more with wide-angle lenses because of the wider field of view.  Try standing in the middle of a straight road - use a long lens, aim the camera so the center line of the road bisects the picture - and see if the edges of the road meet at the horizon.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com