Subject: [Leica] 50mm lenses should be compulsory.
From: nbeddoe at lehman.com (Beddoe, Neil)
Date: Wed May 19 02:49:13 2004

When I bought my M6, it had a 50mm Summicron on it so for six months, any
Leica shots I did were done with a standard lens.  Gear freakery soon took
over and I bought a 35mm and a 90mm. When I went through my negs recently, I
noticed that the shots from this "50mm or nothing" period are better than
the later ones and of the subsequent shots I'd taken with the standard lens
most weren't as good as the ones I took when I didn't have different lenses
to choose from.  I think I used those supreme aids to composition, feet and
knees, a lot more when I couldn't just change lenses to change what was in
the frame.

I wouldn't mind betting that the chap who's off to Honolulu would get miles
better pictures if he just took one 50mm lens with him and spent time
thinking about where he was standing (and whether he should be standing,
kneeling or lying prone) when he pressed the shutter button.  I think this
would apply to almost every picture situation with the exception of
long-range wildlife shots.

As everyone knows, you don't alter the viewpoint when you switch to a wider
or longer lens, you just get more or less in the frame.  In most cases, you
can do this by walking forwards or backwards and at the same time see what
changing perspective does to your shot which is much more interesting than
just optically cropping the photograph.  If you can't get the shot you want
by walking about, just find something else to photograph.  I'm sure Honolulu
will present plenty of subjects.

I like feet but I hate zooms.

Neil

designated recipient(s) named above.  If you are not the intended recipient of
this message you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination,
communication is for information purposes only and should not be regarded as
an offer to sell or as a solicitation of an offer to buy any financial
product, an official confirmation of any transaction, or as an official
statement of Lehman Brothers.  Email transmission cannot be guaranteed to be
secure or error-free.  Therefore, we do not represent that this information is
complete or accurate and it should not be relied upon as such.  All
information is subject to change without notice.

Replies: Reply from buzz.hausner at verizon.net (Buzz Hausner) ([Leica] 50mm lenses should be compulsory.)
Reply from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] 50mm lenses should be compulsory.)