Subject: [Leica] sorta OT: buying external scsi harddrive online
From: hartzell at kestrel.alerce.com (George Hartzell)
Date: Mon May 17 19:03:48 2004

Eric writes:
 > It's almost on topic.  I take pictures with my Leica.  I scan the pictures.
 > I need more storage space.  I'm thinking about getting an external SCSI
 > drive.  Most likely set up with some level of RAID.  Haven't decided fully
 > what I want yet.
 >
 > I live in a small city.  Slightly over 100k population.  We have a few
 > computer stores, but just the chains.  Most of my camera equipment comes
 > from B&H.  Been using them for years.  Cheap.  Reliable.  What's the online
 > equivalent of B&H for computer equipment?

I buy from www.zipzoomfly.com pretty often.  They used to be
googlegear.com, but (oddly enough) recently changed their name....

They're an on-line, low-overhead operation, but when a 30gig laptop
drive that I bought from them ran out of magic juice, it took them
about 10 days to take it from me and get it replaced by IBM/Hitachi
(it was under warranty, and I *did* have my receipts, etc...).

Try something like that with Fry's/Outpost....

Weibetech (http://www.wiebetech.com/home.html) makes nice enclosures
and/or adapters (what do you call a firewire enclosure that doesn't
actually enclose? http://www.wiebetech.com/products/ComboDock.html),
although they aren't cheap.

And to Adam, who said "It has been a LONG time since I've had a hard
drive fail", I hope that you haven't just jinxed yourself.  Drives
*do* fail, and it doesn't even take a drive failure to trash the
data.  "Whoops" is a naughty word around here....

Backups are a good idea.  Keeping them on multiple disks (be they
CD's, or hard drives) is just A Good Idea.  Keeping them at a friend's
house or at work or at home or.... is Even Better.

g.

Replies: Reply from abridge at dcn.org (Adam Bridge) ([Leica] sorta OT: buying external scsi harddrive online)
Reply from ericm at pobox.com (Eric) ([Leica] Re: sorta OT: buying external scsi harddrive online)