Subject: [Leica] OT: Science experiment
From: pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig)
Date: Mon May 17 06:16:19 2004

Richard,

Richard F. Man wrote:

> DELETE if not interested. Sorry. Please discard after 11:59PM May 17th,
> 2004.
> ***
> My kid needs to do a simple science project, so we decide to test the
> Coriolis Effect empirically. Since we can't fly all over the world, this
> is where the network communities come in. So if you would indulge me,
> please fill a "reasonable" size drain with a gallon of water. After the
> water settles down, open the drain and send me the following info:
>
> - time of day of the experiment
13:07 GMT
> - how long does it take for the water to drain
7secs (but see below)
> - which direction does it turn
clockwise
> - your location (city, state, country, and if possible geographical
> measurements would be great)
N 51:11:06
W 0:31:30

(Surrey UK)

> I guess part of the experimental data would also be how many gallons of
> water are wasted :-) Thank you for your indulgence.

I don't get the bit about the time to flow out as this is determined by the width
  of the drain aperture, the number of spokes or holes, and - to put not too
fine a point
on it - how clean my sink is. All of which would impede any attempt to use it to
calculate the Coriolis Forces from the velocity of outflow.

Would be delighted to hear any more details of the project.

Peter Dzwig