Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAW 19 and 20: Seville/Arnhem
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun May 16 23:01:51 2004

"Nathan Wajsman showed class as a photographer and with his photographs!
Subject: Nathan's PAW 19 and 20: Seville/Arnhem

> http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2004/2004_19.jpg

The two little old ladies and the dog is a nice "people picture." The kind
one does once in a while because it's sitting there to be taken. Are you
going to win a Pulitzer with it? Not likely, but who cares, it's just a very
nice life moment captured for posterity.

> The second alternate for week 19 was taken in the main shopping area of
> downtown Seville. This mime was atypical--she talked!
> http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2004/2004_19alt2.jpg
> (M7, 35mm Summilux, Fuji Velvia 100F)<<<

I like it to some degree, however a snap drop to the knees from the same
position and shooting at the lower angle the Mime's head would still be
turned in your direction and the expressions of the little girls and the
mime would've more than likely been stronger because of the lower angle. ?

Now the series from Arnhem... magnificent!!!!!!

The light couldn't have been better for definition. And shot from the shadow
side to bring out the head stones is beautiful and so well executed they are
wonderful and moving photographs.

>>As I was leaving the cemetery, an elderly couple drove up in a car with
British license plates.<<<<<<<

Your class act and showing of compassion toward this elderly couple is
wonderful. Damn few photographers would've done it. They'd have just plunged
right in following and snapping the couple who at some moment may have shown
great emotion over the loss of a kin or friends. But you sir, a gentleman
and gentle
person illustrated your caring for other people allowing them a quiet moment
under the circumstances!  Damn well done!

And given the Battle for Arnhem and 10,000 para's went in and only 2
thousand came out, it carries major emotional feelings for a great many
people.

Any picture from there with the old couple showing major emotions would
probably have been worth ten thousand words, but is it isn't necessary to
get that shot, if one must intrude on the feelings of others in grief.

Your action speaks highly of... "Do onto others as you'd have them do unto
you!" Such a simple message and yet how unfortunate some photographers can't
relate to that nor do they understand the meaning of it. Just to get a damn
picture! :-(

Well done Nathan, you're a man and photographer of class and honour!

ted