Subject: [Leica] Who Still Has a Darkroom?
From: firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin)
Date: Sat May 15 03:00:03 2004

I'm very late on this thread, but I should put in that I have been
"building" up my darkroom over the last 2 years, and will shortly be
attending darkroom workshops etc. In my "lab" I have a Devere 504 with
colour head and an Ilford multigrade 500 head. For 35mm I use a focomat
V35 with original 40mm lens. This has a colour head, multigrade head
and the splitgrade multigrade b/w head. The splitgrade also controls
the Ilford head on the Devere, and I recommend it for fast b/w
printing: with the Focomat V35 the Splitgrade allows me to "churn" out
prints at a great rate of knots, I then analyse  the result and go back
to "perfect" the print manually.

For colour I now have a jobo 7000 analyser: this is overkill for me,
but it seems to work well. I still think my prints both b/w and colour
are better than ink jet versions iffffffff the negative is in good
condition and ifffffffff I put enough effort into printing them. The
image chain to print is pretty good with this combination.

To process, I have an ATL 3. This is overkill again, but it is a
fantastic addition. I have a water wall to help temperature control,
BUT I'm too far from the hot water tank to really have it work, and its
not vital in my system yet.

I use a fantastic micro focus thing from Omega, and I have  few
different easels: none of these is perfect. I do not use trays, all
processing is in the jobo and drums including b/w prints: this gives
great constancy and stops me from damaging the surface of the prints. I
do use trays to tone with Selenium and I have 2 archival washers for
fibre based prints: though I don't always use fibre: it is a pain
really ;-)

I love my darkroom. Its an escape, its a challenge, its a fight and its
my most creative outlet. I would love to compliment it with the Devere
Digital enlarger, but the $$$$$$ are simply ludicrous, so I am thinking
of a printer for some colour work: Bronzing is the major issue for me,
though it seems the new Epson r800 may have solved that. I like Glossy
and Helen "insists" on it ;-)

If I relied on photography to make a living all the above would
probably have gone or never arrived ;-)

Cheers to all

Alastair