Subject: [Leica] Re: Ten years behind? I think not.
From: fmaturana at euskalnet.net (Felix Lopez de Maturana)
Date: Fri May 14 12:39:56 2004

> >exception of Flash capability.
>
> I love the R8's flash mode which allows metering without making an
exposure. It actually acts as a wonderful flash meter with spot capability.
Do the super electron Nikon's and Canon's have that capability? I haven't
found it on my 10d yet. Of course I can wait for the 10d to write the file
and then look at the image. But the R8 gives me exposure data with flash
instantly.

Certainly the flashmeter ability of the R8 is extraordinary and I think that
is the only camera to do that. But Canon has a preflash infrared light that
when used produces very well flash exposed pictures. On the other hand from
many years ago Nikon developed an excelent flash system that is almost
impossible to fool and both C anf N are improving their flash management
systems. I have not bought a flash for my R8 so when I am asked to take
pictures with flash I use a Nikon F5 and a Nikon SB25 flash. No failure.

Anyway I'm surprised to see how well works using whatever camera you wish
with whatever flash you wish, in automatic non TTL way. When shooting
digital I was not ready to buy an external flash for every different camera.
So I discovered that, always in the old automatic way, a Nikon flash worked
very well in a Leica, in a Sony, in almost every camera with a hotshoe that
fired the flash. So I am rather skeptical about more and more sophisticated
flash system and I understand the guys still shooting weddings with their
old Vivitar 283, something like the paradigm of old flashes.

Regards

Felix