Subject: [Leica] Best known photo ?
From: mlpowell at sbcglobal.net (Matthew Powell)
Date: Wed May 12 19:23:40 2004

On May 12, 2004, at 3:01 PM, B. D. Colen wrote:
> NOT TRUE.
>
> IF it was faked - and based on the present evidence, I believe it was
> real - but IF it was fake, then he indeed disguised it as something -
> he
> disguised it as a photograph of a soldier who had just been shot, dying
> in combat. Period.
>
> Capa was on assignment, to shoot the war in Spain. And that is what he
> shot. He was not just taking "pictures" - he was a journalist with a
> camera. And thus to submit a faked photo is to submit a lie.
>
> What is so complicated about that?

As a piece of journalism - something to run in the paper, to inform
people about a specific event or situation - maybe it would be a
failure. But today, or even then - it wasn't a photograph about a
specific man dying. It wasn't evidence.

I think there's a problem in equating this, as someone has noted, with
journalism that's meant to act as evidence - faked abuse photos or the
photoshopped Kerry-Fonda photos. If Capa's photo was supposed to
illustrate something specific about which it lied, then I'd agree with
you.

But as I see it, the photo does nothing of the sort.

MP

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] Best known photo ?)