Subject: [Leica] Staged photos
From: paul at paulhardycarter.com (Paul Hardy Carter)
Date: Wed May 12 07:26:56 2004

So am I right in assuming that you don't have a problem with the Doisneau pic? It was, after all, commissioned by Life and used in the magazine as a piece of photojournalism. Setting shots up was common practice at the time, I gather, to every "insider's" knowledge.

So why the controversy over the Capa pic? Is it because it's a war situation?

There's a lot of debate in the UK at the moment over some pictures published by a tabloid newspaper purporting to show British soldiers abusing an Iraqi detainee, but which everyone (apart from the paper's editor) now seem to believe were set up much later. This is a different matter, as these pictures are being touted as proof of abuse. The Capa pic isn't supposed to be proof of anything - we all know that soldiers get shot in combat. It's power is symbolic.

This is why it doesn't matter. The symbolism is still powerful.

In fact I believe Capa himself said he didn't remember particularly taking the shot, which I can quite believe. He certainly didn't see it until after it was published. To his agency it was just a good shot, and no agency is going to be in the business of tracking down a photographer in a war zone to interrogate him about one pic before they sell it.

P.

Replies: Reply from jls at runbox.com (Jeffery Smith) ([Leica] Staged photos)
Message from jls at runbox.com (Jeffery Smith) ([Leica] Staged photos)