Subject: [Leica] Re: Summarit 1.5
From: benjaminmarks at verizon.net (Ben Marks)
Date: Tue May 11 13:43:35 2004

George:

I have had two; the Summarit was my first Leica 50mm lens -- it came on an M3 I purchased in 1993 out of an estate sale.  All other things being equal it is sharp and has a pleasing look, but lower contrast than a recent generation Summicron.  I sold the lens in 1997 when I upgraded to a Summicron and regretted it -- not the acquisition of the Summicron which remains one of my favorite lenses, but the sale of the Summarit which had its place.  So I bought another when funds permitted.  It happens to have a defect native in the glass which I can see when I hold it up to a computer screen so that it magnifies the color dots of the monitor.  I do not use mine with a hood and consequently have had more flare with it than with the more modern lenses.  However, I have been unable to sell this one as I love the look for indoor photography.  Yes, there is a tendency to flare but so what. . .

If I only had money for one lens, I'd go with a recent, but not current, generation Summicron.  Tougher coatings, more flare resistance and a great all-around performer.

BenjaminMarks at Verizon dot net

>Anyone on list familiar with or have experience using the Summarit >50mm F/1.5
>screwmount, ser. # 1276xxx. I know the coatings are soft, but have >never used
>one to test the image quality. Any comment would be much >appreciated.
George