Subject: [Leica] RE: bd's students work
From: azn at nemeng.com (Andrew Nemeth)
Date: Mon May 10 20:12:37 2004

SonC wrote:

> Early on, Andrew took me to task for my bigole fat files, and I'm
> really
> glad he did.  He did a service to me, as I have lots of people taking
> the  time

Thanks for this Sonny.

I'm not a "size fascist" - far from it (my broadband QTVRs weigh in at
@ 3MB each).  But these kids are students and the intention of my
original note was to prompt BD to remind them to keep an eye on
filesizes.  Especially when the fix is so simple - just "save to web" in
photoshop.

For those who still think filesizes don't matter, here's an example from
the Leica FAQ I maintain.  Currently the most popular topic is on the
"digital M" (is it possible or not?).

The page is plain vanilla text, no imgs and weighs in at only 24 KB.

Last month the page was downloaded @ 1600 times (not hits, but full
page-views), resulting in 38 MB of downloads.  Just for this one topic
(the FAQ has over 130 others!)

Now imagine if the page was 400 KB...  that would have been 640 MB
of traffic for one topic.

My monthly server rental deal is capped at 2 GB throughput, after which
I'm paying extra $s for each MB over limit.  As you can imagine, it
wouldn't
take long to go over limit if every single page was 400KB!

Simply put - bandwidth matters.

:?)

Regds,

Andrew Nemeth